DWP Digital pledges to address lack of gender balance
DWP Digital has committed to continue working on redressing a lack of gender balance by signing up to the Tech Talent Charter for the third year running.
The goal of the charter is for the UK tech sector to become a diverse and inclusive community where people from all backgrounds are welcomed, listened to and valued for their contributions.
"It’s been a busy time for us, as we aspire to increase female representation in digital roles and achieve a more gender balanced workforce across the department," said Rowena Macallum, Gender Lead, DWP Digital, who took on the role in May 2021, and supports Chief Digital Information Officer, Simon McKinnon, in his role as Gender Champion for DWP.
DWP Digital won Best Public Sector Employer category at the Women in Tech Employer Awards in December 20, and DWP was also listed in the Times top 50 Employers for Women for the third year running. Over the last five years, representation of women at Senior Civil Servant level has increased from 39% to 50%.
Recent initiatives include:
- The Women in Digital network has been recognised through a shortlisting in the Computing Women in Tech Excellence Awards 2021 in the Diversity Employer of the Year category.
- Women into Leadership conferences: 352 women across DWP have now participated, exploring how they can enhance their skills and become leaders.
- The Springboard Leadership Programme: 62 women participated in a developmental programme, which aims to empower women to think with a new perspective about their development. This led to them gaining an Associate Institute of Leadership and management qualification
- The Crossing Threshold Programme: 18 women in Senior Executive Officer roles took part in this year-long development programme aimed at women looking for progression within the Civil Service.
- Using the Applied digital platform in DWP Digital recruitment campaigns to remove unconscious bias from initial job applications.
DWP Digital is currently looking for people who like the sound of working in an organisation where people feel valued, heard and supported. Available roles are listed here.